Friday, September 9, 2011

SNAP Challenge, Days 4-5

The hardest thing about this challenge is not being aware of what I eat. It's writing it down and pricing it. For the sake of brevity, I'll just document yesterday's menus, as they were quite similar to today's.

Breakfast
1 piece of toast w/ 1 tablespoon of cream cheese and 2 tomato slices. $.75
1 nectarine. $ 1.80.
Total cost: $2.25

Lunch
2 large carrots $.15
1 apple $1.09
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich (bread ($.20), peanut butter ($.60), jelly ($.25)) $1.05
Total cost: $2.30

Snacks
1/4 c. almonds, 1/4 c raisins. $2.00



Dinner
Pre dinner snack--a few pretzels and 1 oz of cheddar cheese: $.95
2 black bean tacos w/ lettuce, salsa, and shredded cheese. $1.75 each
4 raspberry newtons $.56
Total cost: $3.26

So I spent $9.81 for food yesterday and, by my standards, I ate pretty little. I doubled the amount of almonds and raisins that I snacked on because I knew I was going to go work out in the afternoon. Still, I was famished by the time I got to the gym--somehow, exercise takes my mind off of that. But I usually snack on pretzels and some fresh cheese when I get home from the gym--at least until dinner is ready. I tried to refrain from that yesterday, which wasn't a huge deal, although I couldn't completely resist.

Some thoughts on the whole exercise coming this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. It seems that the food stamp programs expect people to subsist on Kraft Mac 'n' Cheez or Ramen noodles... not exactly a good way to have a balanced diet.

    ReplyDelete